Lemon trees flourish in San Diego. In fact, they abound in Rancho Santa Fe and other more rural areas. But many homes in San Diego also have their own lemon trees growing in a backyard corner–making for a perfect hot lemon water beverage.
Lemons seem to flourish year round in San Diego, and I am sometimes gifted with a bagful of this aromatic fruit by thoughtful friends, real estate clients and neighbors. My deepest gratitude to these lovely donors! I also have a lemon tree in our side yard, but when the gardner planted it years ago, he either jokingly or inadvertently planted a sweet lemon tree that produces pretty tasteless fruit–at least for my tastes.
I use lemons mixed with healthy oils for salad dressings, and go through long periods when I give up coffee and instead drink hot lemon water in the mornings. I enjoy the taste, but also know it is an alkaline food that starts my day off right and helps keep my body in alkaline balance.
But did you know that hot lemon water might also help with wrinkles? I did not.
I recently read an article in Food Matters that outlines other health benefits–including skin health– of this fruit. They include:
16 Health Benefits Of Drinking Warm Lemon Water
- Lemon is an excellent and rich source of vitamin C, an essential nutrient that protects the body against immune system deficiencies
- Lemons contain pectin fibre which is very beneficial for colon health and also serves as a powerful antibacterial
- It balances to maintain the pH levels in the body
- Having warm lemon juice early in the morning helps flush out toxins
- It aids digestion and encourages the production of bile
- It is also a great source citric acid, potassium, calcium, phosphorus and magnesium
- It helps prevent the growth and multiplication of pathogenic bacteria that cause infections and diseases
- It helps reducing pain and inflammation in joints and knees as it dissolves uric acid
- It helps cure the common cold
- The potassium content in lemon helps nourish brain and nerve cells
- It strengthens the liver by providing energy to the liver enzymes when they are too dilute
- It helps balance the calcium and oxygen levels in the liver In case of a heartburn, taking a glass of concentrated lemon juice can give relief
- It is of immense benefit to the skin and it prevents the formation of wrinkles and acne
- It helps maintain the health of the eyes and helps fight against eye problems
- Aids in the production of digestive juices
- Lemon juice helps replenish body salts especially after a strenuous workout session